Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A TOTALLY DRAGON INTERVIEW WITH JEREMY C. SHIPP OF THE FLAPJACK





“Jeremy C. Shipp’s boldness, daring, originality, and sheer smarts make him one of the most vital younger writers who have colonized horror literature in the past decade. Shipp’s modernist clarity, plus his willingness to risk damn near everything, put him up at the head of the pack with the very best.”
–Peter Straub
   legendary author of Ghost Story, The Talisman(with Stephen King), Black House(with Stephen King), Shadowland and other essential-reading horror classics



“Shipp’s clear, insistent voice pulls you down into the rabbit hole and doesn’t let go.”
–Jack Ketchum   Author of Off Season, Off Spring, The Woman( with Lucky Mckee), The Girl Next Door and other books worthy of quoting and worship










I had the honor of interviewing Bram Stoker Nominated, and critically acclaimed author Jeremy C. Shipp. This is only my second official interview for Atrophied Gangsters and I was more than a little nervous. I follow Shipp in NewsFeed on Facebook pretty rabidly but never correspond with him directly, because I assume writers of this caliber are busy all the time, and I don't want to hinder that next novel. When he's not making some funny, quotable quip, he's posting these amazingly awesome pictures--like GodZilla battling the Stay Puft Marshmellow-Man--or he's giving away free Kindle books. Like Attic Clowns, which is already sort of a cult classic, and I predict future generations will envy us who got it for free. 

Mr. Shipp is self-deprecating, humble, and someone I admire as a writer and a person...a haunted person, a person who writes their way through Coulrophobia and rises above. His Attic Clown yarns are that personal wink that says "Friend, you're not alone,". 

Him and I come from that lost generation--a time of clear Pepsi, slap-bracelets, Hammerpants, and T.G.I.F. was an acronym that meant something...
I'm Jason Wayne Allen of Atrophied Gangsters and I am proud to present


A TOTALLY DRAGON INTERVIEW WITH JEREMY C. SHIPP of THE FLAPJACK



JWA : So, I’m interviewing a Bram Stoker Award Nominated author…kind of nervous, plus I’m an amateur at interviewing.
      I feel kind of like that nerd who’s finally going to get laid by the hottest chick in school, and all of his friends tell him to think about baseball or he’ll prematurely ejaculate…you, Mr. Shipp, are the hottest chick in school.
Let’s play ball…

JCS: Thank you. That’s the third time today that somebody’s called me the hottest chick in school, but it still feels just as sweet.
    
JWA : Speaking of hot chicks in school, let’s touch briefly on Bayside High and those rascals from Saved by the Bell: What was up with Kelly Kapowski being the hottest chick in school? I much preferred Jessie Spano. Plus, I thought her and Zack had much better chemistry.  Yeah, she had tough exterior and firm feminist convictions that may not appeal to most men, but you saw how she melted for A.C., underneath she was as girly as Kelly and in my opinion just as attractive, maybe more attractive.  Thoughts?

JCS: Kelly and Jessie were both amazing women, but to be honest, I thought Zack and Screech would end up together. Their chemistry was undeniable. And I thought it would be interesting for the coolest kid in school to get with the dorkiest. (Wait, was Zack the coolest kid in school, or was it just me thinking he was the coolest? Hmm…)



Like the special abortion episode of Saved by the Bell, I think we're due for a Screech and Zach wedding special.

JWA : According to your Wiki article you published your first story at the age of eighteen, what was the name of the story and is it still available to the public?

JCS: My first acceptance letter was for a story called “Love Thy Demon.” The tale is no longer available, and that’s probably for the best. But for those interested in my early work, I am thinking of releasing my first short story, which I wrote in 4th grade. It will blow your mind like a hairdryer blowing dry somebody’s brains.


JWA : What was it like, publishing at such a young age? That had to do wonders to your confidence.

JCS: After I was published the first time, I sang and jigged and made merry. But sadly, my confidence remained unchanged. I still lacked the confidence to tell Kelly my true feelings and she ended up marrying Zack.

JWA :(Editor's note) Don't worry Mr. Shipp, Saved by the Bell is a sham without it's laugh track, and that marriage episode had no laugh track...you may still have a chance.


JWA :  Do you have any formal education in writing?

JCS: I got a degree in creative writing from UC Riverside. The writing workshops were good experiences, but ultimately, I learned the most about writing fiction from reading fiction.


JWA : What is your writing schedule like? Do you write every day? Have a word count goal? Anything along those lines?

JCS: I write every day, usually at night. I like to start during the witching hour or the sandwiching hour. I don’t have a word count goal. I just write until my brains fall out and my spleen beings to melt.

JWA :   Are there essentials you need while you write? Like, Cigarettes, booze, drugs Et Cetera…?

JCS: I do prefer to be surrounded my monsters and mythological creatures when I’m writing, but other than that, I don’t have any particular needs. When I’m writing, I often forget to eat, or drink. Sometimes I don’t even breathe.

JWA :  I got into you from reading your story Flapjack from the Bizarro Starter Kit (Blue) maybe three times, and still have no idea what the characters are. Forgive me for asking but are they humans from a different dimension? I got a hobbit vibe on my first read but then noticed on your blog; you have a thing for gnomes. Are the characters from Flapjack gnomes? And why are gnomes so tippy cool?


JCS: Gnomes are tippy cool, because of their tip-top hats and their fashionable bears. And as for the beings in Flapjack, I can’t tell you what they are. I promised them I wouldn’t.


JWA : Let’s talk about Bizarro.
As you most likely know Bizarro Con is happening as I type these questions (11-15-2012) why aren’t you there? Your last Facebook update was something like, ‘Helping my parents put up Christmas decorations…’ why are you not frolicking nude through the streets of Portland, Oregon with Jeff Burke, drunk and freaking out squares? 

JCS: I’m busy scraping paint on a house, trying to earn some scratch, while my doppelganger and my golem go to Bizarro Con in my place. Hopefully they won’t kill too many people during the festivities.

JWA : Who is your favorite author from the Bizarro scene?

JCS:  Choosing a favorite Bizarro writer would be like choosing my favorite yard gnome, and that’s impossible.


JWA : You give the vibes of a sensible guy with a dignified air. You know who else has that vibe? Peter Straub. Peter Straub had good things to say about you. That had to be a confidence builder, right?

Horror Demigod Peter Straub has been called an  impeccable dresser by Stephen King, and he's known to be a huge jazz fan--Straub has class.
JCS: I was deeply honored by Peter Straub’s words. But honestly, I’m still as insecure as ever.

JWA : Jack Ketchum said nice stuff too—JACK KETCHUM!?
"Who's the scariest guy in America? Probably Jack Ketchum"-Stephen King


JCS: I know, right? I don’t know why I’m lucky. Oh wait, yes I do. I do have a room filled to the brim with lucky rabbits’ feet and four-leaf clovers.

JWA : Could you tell who wrote what in The Talisman or Black House? Peter Straub said in an interview the only person he met that could was Neil Gaiman. I could not. Could you?

JCS: Yes, I can tell, but I promised Mr. Straub that I wouldn't.


JWA : If you died and had to introduce yourself to God as an author, but could only name one book that defined what your fiction was all about, what book (or story) would you ask God to read? In other words, what is your favorite Jeremy C. Shipp book (or story)?


JCS: I would probably recommend Cursed. There’s a lot of me in that book. A lot of my mind and my heart and my imagination. And I love those characters. They’re some of the best imaginary friends a writer could ask for. 

JWA : Who are your favorite authors?

JCS: Some of my favorites are: Arundhati Roy, Lois Lowry, Haruki Murakami, Kurt Vonnegut, Kazuo Ishiguro, Gregory Maguire, George Orwell, Amy Tan, Charlotte Bronte.

JWA : I read that your house inspires a lot of your work, is there anything or anyone else?

JCS: I’m inspired by my family and friends, by world events, personal events, people on the street, dreams, nightmares, clouds, toys, cats, hummingbirds, spaghetti.

JWA : What are your thoughts on Kindle or eBook publishing? Also, what about self-publishing?

JCS: I love real books. I love the way they smell, the way they look sitting there on a bookshelf, the way they feel in my hands. Sorry, that sounded way too sexual. Anyway, while I am a fan of printed books, I also like eBooks. I don’t really care how my fans and readers read my stories. As long as they’re enjoying my work, I’m happy. And I believe self-publishing can be a good thing when authors put out quality books.


JWA : Attic Clowns was great (it also inspired me to put a clown in my Kindle book CELEBUTANTE MEAT-HOUSE and there is a blatant nod to Attic Clowns besides that, you’ll have to read the story to get it) and I foresee a day when Clowns usurp the zombies and vampires and IT becomes the Dracula of the Clown genre. Thoughts?

JCS: First of all, I’m honored to hear that Attic Clowns inspired you in that way! And I agree. Someday, clowns will become more popular than all the other creatures of the night. And then, it’s only a matter of time before my hordes of clowns minions rule the Earth.

JWA :  You like Takashi Miike a lot, favorite Miike film?
Shipp's Story Victim: A Story Inspired by
Takashi Miike
Can be found in The Magazine of Bizarro Fiction issue  one


JCS: Audition is strange and horrifying and enthralling. I also love The Happiness of the Katakuris. I’m a big fan of weird musicals. There’s always a weird musical playing somewhere in my brain at all times. That’s why I break into song so often.



JWA : If you were a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, which one would you be and why?

I don’t do machines, I’m not cool but rude (or is it crude?), and I’m not a party dude. At the end of the day, I would probably be a boring leader like Leonardo. That makes me a little sad.

JWA : The first TMNT movie stands the test of time. Watched it recently and besides April O’Neil’s hairstyle and some late ‘80s early ‘90s dialog, there was zero cheese…except on the pizza! (rim shot!)

JCS: Ha ha! That is one shell of a film.


JWA : Favorite music, bands, and do you listen to music while you write?

JCS: Some of my favorite musicians/bands: Pink Floyd, Akeboshi, A Fine Frenzy, Of Monsters and Men, Mumford and Sons, Frightened Rabbit, Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash, Aimee Mann. I used to listen to music while I would write, but these days I prefer silence mixed with the sounds of Attic Clown chortles and yard gnome yodels.

JWA : If you could punch anyone square in the face right now, who would it be and why?

JCS: I would punch myself in the face and give myself a black eye. Then I’d have something interesting to post on Instagram, instead of my usual photos of spaghetti.


JWA : Advice for new writers looking to break into the Horror, Bizarro, and weird fiction scene?

JCS: First and foremost, it’s important to sell your soul to a demon or an anthropomorphic toaster. That always helps. In addition to that, write every day, even if you only have time to write one paragraph. Shop your stories around to respected magazines and publishers. Talk to other writers in your genre. Sacrifice a Smurf on a blue altar, using a toothpick dipped in gummiberry juice.

JWA : Facebook or Twitter—which do you prefer?

JCS:I like Twitter. It’s a fun challenge, attempting to write something funny/interesting in 140 characters. But I think I prefer Facebook, because of all the cat pictures. And I like chatting with folks there.

JWA : Thank you for answering these questions. I can’t wait to read more from you, Mr. Shipp. I’ll see you on Facebook. I always look forward to the totally DRAGON pictures you leave in Newsfeed.

JCS: Thank you, good sir! May the spork be with you.

Check out Attic Toys, the latest anthology edited by Jeremy C. Shipp. Featuring Jeff Strand, Lisa Morton, and many other horror scribes...Buy it here for Kindle at Amazon


Jason Wayne Allen is an author of Horror and Bizarro fiction. He is currently working on a novel, and many short stories and a novella or three for his 2013 takeover.

 You can read him in the StrangeHouse anthology Zombie! Zombie! Brain, Bang! 


And don't forget to buy his Kindle Single CELEBUTANTE MEAT-HOUSE for only .99 cents! 


1 comment:

  1. This was a seriously entertaining interview. Glad I stopped by and checked it out.

    ReplyDelete